The Pulitzer Prize



This is a prize that I can never see myself winning.

The first obstacle is that I am not American.  I admire a lot of American music and a few of my British heroes have spent a long time in America building their career. Neither am I closely linked to music in the U.S.A. This is not a problem; every region has its own prestigious prize intended for their own countrymen and women.

There certain expectations expected from a Pulitzer prize winner.
Last year, it was John Adams forty minute orchestral work based on a single note group, "Become Ocean".  The year before, it was Partita for 8 Voices by Caroline Shaw a mixture of vocal exploration and repetitive music. And so on..you probably get the picture; you have to be in the America circle of composers and writing some form of repetitive music. I don't fit the bill...never mind. 

But are you happy with this? Do you think that it should perhaps be more open, more varied? 

Popular posts from this blog

Narcissistic

What is Stockhausen's legacy?